Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A New Inspiration

Pictured here are Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon. As most of you probably know they were one of 18,000 or so couples who got married in California before Prop 8. The good news for them and these couples is that their marriage will still be recognized by the state of California. Now, I remember hearing this amazing couples story a while ago but as I was doing my activism research I came across them again, and I just HAD to write. Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon were one of the first couples married in California. They had been together for 50 years before wedding on June 16, 2008. Together and as individuals they did some amazing things. Together they founded the Daughters of Bilitis (DOB) in San Francisco in 1955 (the first social and political organization for lesbians in the U.S.). Lyon was the original editor of The Ladder, the first nationally distributed lesbian publication in the U.S., founded in 1956. Both women worked to form the Council of Religion and Homosexuality (CRH) in northern California to persuade ministers to accept homosexuals into churches, and used their influence to decriminalize homosexuality in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

In August of 2008 Del Martin passed away from complications of an arm bone fracture in San Francisco. Shortly after Del's death Phyllis released a statement saying, “I am devastated, but I take some solace in knowing we were able to enjoy the ultimate rite of love and commitment before she passed.”

The LA Times recently released an AMAZING article on the two women about their lives, accomplishments, and Phyllis's take on the recent Prop 8 issues. Today I am printing out this article and hanging it on the refrigerator at home. It is such an uplifting piece. These two women did such wonderful things together, and fought through a hard time to come out better on the other end. The women did not let stereotypes and people's judgements hurt them, they just kept pushing and opening up the eyes of others to such an important issue. I hope I can look back on my life and feel accomplished and good about what I have left behind. These women are inspiring and I will turn to them when I feel frustrated about our countries stance on LGBT issues.

I hope you all found this post as moving as it was for me to write. I have enjoyed sharing my inspiration! In the end, it is love that matters, and being with those you love, no matter what other people thing! (I love you!)

Peace and Equality

No comments:

Post a Comment